How People Become Real



I was first introduced to The Velveteen Rabbit in college. Yes, college. My friend Becky Styron, one of the early Friday morning bible study girls, mentioned that story one day as she tried to illustrate what a new life in Christ looked like. A new believer, she said, is like the toy rabbit who became real because of the love his boy had for him.

I had no idea what she was talking about.

I will never forget her incredulous look as she realized I'd never read that book. Three months later, I opened my birthday gift from her and found a gift-book quality copy of the Velveteen Rabbit. Yes, I laughed. But then I wept.


Her inscription reads, "Kelley, I hope you love this book as much as I do! It reminded me of how "REAL" you are in your new identity in Christ. Happy 21st birthday! Keep seeking Him..."


In Christ, I am the real me, the Kelley He created for His purpose. Without Him, I'd be an imitation, a toy, an image not quite living up to my creator's intentions. It works like that for everyone. God's love frees us up to be ourselves, to reach our potential. His love transforms us!


2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore is anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has gone; the new has come!"


You can see "The Velveteen Rabbit" on DVD starting March 17. Directed by Michael Landon, Jr., this version is partly animated, partly "real." My friend Sandi interviewed Landon here.

Comments