Politics, Anyone?


So I'm a not-so-secret political junkie. This started during the 2000 campaign when our Governor (Bush) was first running for prez. I found a daily update on one of the mainstream news sites that pointed readers to pertinent articles and stories that would drive the political news that day. After a few weeks of checking it every day, I realized I could subscribe to it--and they would notify me when the update was ready! I was hooked.

Even after the race (and vote recounting) was over, they realized they'd created something...like, a monster. This political "note" continued regularly until the 2004 election, which started sometime in 2002, so the writers didn't have much time to rest. And since the 2008 election started January 21, 2004, it's been a daily grind since.



I don't read it every day. Well, I didn't until the conventions last month. (Yes, I watched every night of both conventions.) I was amused and impressed when Biden was chosen to shore up Obama's thin resume on foreign affairs. Biden is always good for a laugh with his outspoken, off-talking-points slip ups, but he's also an experienced legislator with credibility. I like that he's a real person even with reporters hanging around.



A week after Biden came aboard, the new science of "Palintology" exploded nationwide. What an electrifying choice for McCain to make. The mainstream media has taken a big hit on their coverage of Sarah Palin since she was introduced to America at large. The bloggers have been brutal in their reviews--Charles Gibson was hammered by 80% of those who commented on his interview with Palin.

During the Republican convention I began surfing numerous other news sites for a variety of viewpoints (no need for that during the DNC). I dug up one such site dedicated to the evangelical perspective on the race for the White House. Christianity Today, "a magazine of evangelical conviction," started a daily blog during the RNC. It has been well received by non-religious news sites as a respectable source of religious perspective on the race.

It's on my list of must-reads this fall. But I've got room for more, if anyone has a suggestion. What sites/blogs are you reading to keep you in touch with the political world?

Comments