Book Review

One of the fun things about being an author, however unknown my books may be, is that I get to be a part of a community of other authors. We don't all get to meet personally, but through blogs, websites, conferences, and conventions, we become aware of and cheerleaders for each other's books and ministries. Sometimes that means we get advance copies of new books so that we can help promote them for our fellow writers.

I hope to do this more often, or at least regularly, in the future. I'm toying with the idea that every two weeks I will post a review. Something like "Monday Musings" or "Tuesday Tidbits"... Today it will be "Saturday in Scotland."

I know, that's rather specific. But it's to do with my topic, y'see. It took me a wee bit of time (not because of the book--it was more that life kept interfering; my apologies for this post's tardiness), but I meandered my way through Liz Curtis Higgs's newest treasure, My Heart's in the Lowlands.

Liz, whose 18th-century-set trilogy based on the biblical story of Jacob, Leah and Rachel reveals her love of all things Scottish, set those three novels in the Lowland counties of Dumfries and Galloway. My Heart's in the Lowlands is an ode to that region, Liz's way of chiding those who think the Highlands are all there is to Scotland.

A delightful armchair travel guide, Lowlands takes the reader on a personal, chatty, 10-day drive through the back roads of Southwest Scotland. Liz and the reader explore towns, ruins, one-lane roads, shops, and the locals' favorite dining spots. Here's how Liz describes it (from her website):

Side by side, page by page, you and I will travel the rolling hills and glens of the Scottish Lowlands without truly crossing the pond, changing time zones, or driving on the left side of the road (though we can pretend, can't we?). Our itinerary includes quaint villages and crumbling castles, antiquarian bookshops and charming tearooms, grand old churches and hedge-lined gardens. Och, it's a ferlie place!

And since I'll be visiting Scotland one day (in the distant future, I fear), I'll have this little gem on hand when I start planning my daily jaunt. I'm one of those who's more in thrall with the Highland region, but this book has convinced me to spend a few days in Galloway and Dumfries. A more delightful travel guide I have never found. If you are planning a trip to Scotland or just want to visit vicariously, take a few days with Liz and experience the Lowlands "in person."








Comments